Why Is It Named Bolton Hill?

Bolton Hill row houses
Bolton Hill row houses

Do you know why it’s called Bolton Hill? Before we did a little research, we sure didn’t. So, here it is.

The area around Bolton Hill was originally owned by Baltimore merchant, George Grundy. He named his original estate home Bolton, which was located where the current Fifth Regiment Armory stands today. The name Bolton came from “Bolton-le-Moors” in England.

Although estate houses were built in the area as early during the Revolutionary War era, the bulk of the development occurred between 1850 and 1900, with row houses in the Queen Anne style. Two of the oldest brick cottages from the area still survive at 204 W. Lanvale St. and 232 W. Lanvale St.

About Tom

Tom founded Ghosts of DC on January 4th, 2012 as a blog to uncover the lost and untold history of Washington, D.C. He has lived in the city for over a decade and loves exploring every corner of the District.
  • Smith

    Question: Is Grundy St in Highlandtown (Hollintown to the Bawlamoriens) named after George Grundy then. Originally it was 7th St.