Faces & Places of Yesterday Look at Baltimore in 1853 Apr 13, 2015 Take a look at this print from 1853. It shows the city of Baltimore as it looked 160+ years ago. Colored lithograph by E. Sachse & Co., one of two prominent lithography companies in Baltimore in the mid-1800’s, that features various views of Baltimore prior to 1853. The center view is from Federal Hill but differs somewhat from others in the collection taken from the same point. From the upper left corner, in clockwise order, the small surrounding views are as follows: Washington Monument, Market-Street, Broadway, City Hotel and Battle Monument, Odd Fellows Hall, St. Paul’s Church, Exchange Hotel, Calvert Street City Spring, Lighthouse and Fort McHenry, Gateway of Greenmount Cemetery, The Cathedral, St. Alphonsus Church and Zion’s Church. The Market Street scene in upper row is a miniature replica of the Market Street print in this collection, Cator Print number 168. The Odd Fellows Hall at Gay and Fayette Streets was built in 1831 and enlarged in 1843. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, built in 1817 after designs by Robert Cary Long, was destroyed by fire in 1854. It stood on the site of the present St. Paul’s Church which was built immediately thereafter. Among the other prominent structures shown, Old Zion Church, St. Alphonsus Church and Greenmount Cemetery gateway are standing today. The view of the harbor was made from the landward side of the Lazaretto. Source: Digital Maryland Ghosts of Baltimore via EmailWant to get our great content sent to you by email? Sign up here and we'll stay in touch!