Follow Us

The Latest Posts

AERIAL VIEW OF STATION, YARDS AND BONDED WAREHOUSE, LOOKING NORTHWEST - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Camden Station, South side of Camden Street between Eutaw & Howard Streets, Baltimore, Independent City, MD

What a fascinating series of photos showing the site if Camden Yards in the 1970s.
The flag of Maryland

This was cross-posted on Ghosts of DC. Washington, D.C. Received most of its land, about two-thirds, from the state of Maryland when it was formed...
The Eiffel Tower in 1890

This was a story idea sent to us about two years ago by Dave, and we're just now getting to it. It's also a...
Beautiful aerial view of Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland. May 6th, 2011

Oriole Park at Camden Yards has to be one of the most, if not the most, beautiful ballparks in all of Major League Baseball....
Earl Weaver 1980

This is classic Earl Weaver. Thanks to our friend Marty for sending this in some time ago. We're just now getting around to sharing...

This is what Baltimore looked like some time in the 1940s. The first one below is labeled Guilford and Fayette. Source: Flickr user Kevin Mueller This...
Baltimore transit in Walbrook

Here is a beautiful series of photos that we found on Flickr showing the city's old streetcars. The one below was taken just a...

This photo shows the deciding game of the 1897 National League season with the Boston Beaneaters taking the pennant from the Baltimore Orioles, in...
View of motorists in 1907 Peerless car in front of Washington Monument in Baltimore, Maryland. Label on front: "Lazarnick. F4048. Peerless car in front of Washington Monument, Balto., Md. June 19." Stamped on back: "Photo by N. Lazarnick, 29 West 42nd Street, New York." Handwritten on back: "Peerless, 1907. Peerless car in front of Washington Monument, Baltimore. Wednesday, June 19."

Here are a few great photos showing early automobiles on the streets of Baltimore. These photos document the Glidden Trophy tour of 1907. This...
Baltimore's Business and Government Historic District

Here is a series of photos that we fond on Flickr that show Baltimore as it looked in the 1980s. The photos below were...
Al Packer Ford, Baltimore, MD, 1964

This is an old photo of Al Packer's Ford Dealership in 1964. The company still exists, though I'm not sure they're still at the...
View of the corner of Baltimore and Liberty Streets. It was named McLane Place for Robert McClane, who was mayor of Baltimore at the time of great 1904 fire, and subsequently committed suicide. The name change did not last, and the location is now the crossing of Baltimore and Liberty Streets again. The monument to the left is that of John Mifflin Hood (1843-1906), a lieutenant in the Confederate Army, later president of Western Maryland Railroad (1874-1902). The sculpture was relocated to Preston Gardens in 1963. The store on the right is Baltimore Bargain House (later American Wholesale Corporation), a firm established by Jacob Epstein (1864-1945). Also in view is an early billboard advertisement boasting, "Pays to advertise with electric signs. Get yours now."

Check out this great old postcard of Baltimore from 1914. It shows what was then called McLane Place, now the intersection of Baltimore and...
Colored lithograph by E. Sachse & Co., one of two prominent lithography companies in Baltimore in the mid-1800's, that features various views of Baltimore prior to 1853. The center view is from Federal Hill but differs somewhat from others in the collection taken from the same point. From the upper left corner, in clockwise order, the small surrounding views are as follows: Washington Monument, Market-Street, Broadway, City Hotel and Battle Monument, Odd Fellows Hall, St. Paul's Church, Exchange Hotel, Calvert Street City Spring, Lighthouse and Fort McHenry, Gateway of Greenmount Cemetery, The Cathedral, St. Alphonsus Church and Zion's Church. The Market Street scene in upper row is a miniature replica of the Market Street print in this collection, Cator Print number 168. The Odd Fellows Hall at Gay and Fayette Streets was built in 1831 and enlarged in 1843. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, built in 1817 after designs by Robert Cary Long, was destroyed by fire in 1854. It stood on the site of the present St. Paul's Church which was built immediately thereafter. Among the other prominent structures shown, Old Zion Church, St. Alphonsus Church and Greenmount Cemetery gateway are standing today. The view of the harbor was made from the landward side of the Lazaretto.

Take a look at this print from 1853. It shows the city of Baltimore as it looked 160+ years ago. Source: Digital Maryland
Photograph that features a view of Baltimore Street west of Hanover Street on Baltimore before the fire of 1904. Conspicuous landmarks are the Continental Building, now the Mercantile Trust Company, and the business house of Armstrong Cator & Co. west of Charles Street.

Here is an old image of Baltimore street from around 1900. Source: Digital Maryland This was also cross-posted on Cool Old Photos.
B&W photograph of the tip-off to a basketball game played as part of National Youth Administration recreation program, Baltimore, ca. 1935.

This is one of those great photos of regular life in Baltimore. It shows a group of young men getting ready for tip-off in...
Lubins Theatre

Here is a beautiful old photo of the Lubins Theatre, which I believe is on the 400 block of East Baltimore St. You can...
See more...