Browsing Theme

Lost History

These are sad stories about things that no longer exist in Baltimore.

French Consulate is Now a 7-Eleven

Of course it is. The old French Consulate in Baltimore was at Charles and Centre St. in the 1920s. There’s no longer a French Consulate in the city. In fact, there are a total...

Trackless Trolleys of Baltimore

Here is a great series of photos we uncovered on Flickr thanks to Kevin Mueller. He has some terrific photos, so check them out.

Sad Final Days of Memorial Stadium

This old photo from sometime in the 1990s shows the beloved old Memorial Stadium from the inside. The field is overgrown and the not a soul in the stands. Source: Library of Congress
Baltimore transit in Walbrook

Baltimore Streetcars in the 1960s

Here is a beautiful series of photos that we found on Flickr showing the city’s old streetcars. The one below was taken just a few weeks before President Kennedy would be shot. Source: Flickr...
Historic American Buildings Survey E. H. Pickering, Photographer June 1936 VIEW FROM NORTHEAST - Waterloo Row, 606-628 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, Independent City, MD

Images of Waterloo Row in 1830s and 1930s

Check out these great images from the Library of Congress. The first one is a painting from the 1830s, and the second, a photograph of the same area in the 1930s.

The Ghosts of Old Memorial Stadium

Remember old Memorial Stadium? Some great memories from that place. We dug up a large number of photos taken of the stadium in its waning days. Take a look at them below, and if you...

Stanley Theatre on Howard Street in 1933

We came across this gem on Flickr, and it’s a terrific one. It appears to be a photograph from the 1930s, showing the Auditorium and Stanley Theatres on Howard Street. The Stanley was at...
proposed tunnel (1909)

Proposed Tunnel From Mount Clare to Patterson Park

This is an interesting illustration that we dug up in The Baltimore Sun. It’s from an article printed on May 7th, 1909. Source: The Baltimore Sun Here’s a similar route on today’s Google Map of...

Nazi Rally Held at Lehmann Hall on North Howard Street (1935)

This may come as a great shock to you, but before the worst of World War II, a number of locals in Baltimore were supporters of Germany’s Nazi party. It’s almost unfathomable, but Baltimore...
The Catonsville Junction was the terminus for the Baltimore Traction Company's streetcar lines 8, 9, and 14. On this 1950s summer day, a light grey over pencil-yellow Pullman-built PCC (Presidential Car Commission) streetcar departs southbound on the private, quarter mile right-of-way that emptied onto Frederick Road and continued eastward into the city of Baltimore. The little Belgian block gabled structure on the right is still there today, as are the houses in the center rear. The Amoco structure has been replaced by a modern Seven-Eleven convenience store.

Catonsville Junction in the 1950s

This is an excellent old photo of Catonsville Junction, the terminus of the old Baltimore Traction Company’s streetcar lines. Source: Shorpy
West Lexington looking northeast - 310, 308, 304 West Lexington

1980s View of West Lexington

Here’s a cool old photo we dug up at the Library of Congress. It shows the 300 block of West Lexington in the 1980s. The building in the foreground doesn’t appear to be here...