Baltimore in the 1910s

Cruising the Baltimore Streets in a Jitney

Photograph taken of a loaded jitney bus traveling east on Fayette Street at its intersection with Gay Street in Baltimore, Maryland. One passenger each is standing on the rear and side footboards. A streetcar is stopped at the intersection (left).

Baltimore View From Emerson Tower

This lovely old image shows Charm City as seem from Emerson Tower in the 1910s. Click on it for greater detail. Source: Library of Congress

Then and Now: Howard St. and Saratoga St.

Photograph taken looking north at tracklaying on Howard Street at its intersection with Saratoga Street in Baltimore, Maryland. On the northwest corner at number 300 North Howard Street is Chas. Willms & Co., manufacturers and importers of fine surgical instruments.

Amazing Lost Baltimore Streetcars

Incredible series of photos from 1915 showing Baltimore streetcars across the city. Published by the president of the United Railways & Electric Company.

Homewood Apartment Building

Homewood Apartment Building at E 31st St. and N Charles St.

This cool old photo shows the Homewood Apartment Building at East 31st Street and North Charles Street, taken sometime in the 1910s. Source: Flickr & UMBC Digital Collections Now take a look at what it looks like today on Google Street...

Annapolis, Maryland, 1917. "Graduation exercises, U.S. Naval Academy." Harris & Ewing Collection glass negative.

Naval Academy Graduation in 1917

This great old photo shows graduation festivities at the Naval Academy back in 1917. What a stunning photo. Source: Shorpy This was also cross-posted on our sister-site, Cool Old Photos.

View of the corner of Baltimore and Liberty Streets. It was named McLane Place for Robert McClane, who was mayor of Baltimore at the time of great 1904 fire, and subsequently committed suicide. The name change did not last, and the location is now the crossing of Baltimore and Liberty Streets again. The monument to the left is that of John Mifflin Hood (1843-1906), a lieutenant in the Confederate Army, later president of Western Maryland Railroad (1874-1902). The sculpture was relocated to Preston Gardens in 1963. The store on the right is Baltimore Bargain House (later American Wholesale Corporation), a firm established by Jacob Epstein (1864-1945). Also in view is an early billboard advertisement boasting, "Pays to advertise with electric signs. Get yours now."

Corner of Baltimore and Liberty Streets in 1914

Check out this great old postcard of Baltimore from 1914. It shows what was then called McLane Place, now the intersection of Baltimore and Liberty Streets. It was named for former mayor of Baltimore, Robert McLane. He was mayor during...

Lubins Theatre

Lubins Theatre in 1910

Here is a beautiful old photo of the Lubins Theatre, which I believe is on the 400 block of East Baltimore St. You can read a little more about it here and here. Source: Library of Congress Here is the...